I've discovered the perfect breakfast cookie with no typical food allergens for kid. They are egg free, dairy free, soy free, and gluten free. Original recipe can be found here: http://www.examiner.com/article/healthy-baking-banana-oatmeal-breakfast-cookies
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed until creamy (a food processor works best)
- 1 cup cinnamon applesauce (for a little less sweetness, use unsweetened applesauce)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups old-fashioned oats, uncooked
- 3/4 cup flax seeds, ground
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- Optional add ins: nuts, raisins, craisins, dried apricots, chcoolate chips, butterscotch chips.......and the list is endless :)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line two cookie trays with parchment paper. (Parchment paper is important to minimize sticking.)
- In a large bowl, combine the mashed bananas, applesauce, vanilla, cinnamon and brown sugar.
- Add the oats and ground flax seeds, stirring well. Allow mixture to sit for about 10 minutes to soften the oats.
- Drop dough on cookie sheets using a small ice cream scoop. Slightly flatten balls of dough to create circles ¼ - ½” thick.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes, or until cookies are golden and slightly firm. Cookies are chewy, so they will not get crispy edges.
- Allow cookies to rest on the baking trays for 5-10 minutes before moving to a cooling rack.
- Makes approximately 16 cookies.