Monday, October 4, 2010

Marvelous Homemade Meatballs

Recently I had put meatball stroganoff on the menu for dinner and I usually use frozen meatballs for that.  I've since discovered that the price has increased on those and I am not paying $8 a bag for meatballs when I can make my own better and less expensive.  So I found a recipe and made my own. 

INGREDIENTS:

1lb 93/7 lean ground turkey (or beef)
1 packaged Jimmy Dean reduced fat pork sausage
2 slices of bread
1/4 cup skim milk
2 egg yolks
3 Tbsp olive oil (divided)
1/2 cup chopped onion
2-3 garlic cloves minced
1 Tbsp kosher salt
pepper

DIRECTIONS:

1. Pre-heat oven to 300F
2. Tear the bread into pieces and place in a small bowl with the milk.  Set aside.
3. Saute the onion in 1Tbsp olive oil until tender.  Add the garlic for the last minute of cooking.  Set aside.
4.  In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the turkey, pork, bread mixture, onions, egg yolks, 1Tbsp kosher salt, and some freshly ground black pepper.
5.  Using a 1 Tbsp cookie scoop, scoop out the meatballs onto parchment paper.
6.  Heat a non-stick skillet or cast iron skillet on medium high heat.  Add 1tbsp olive oil and sautee the meatballs until brown on all sides.  May need to do in 2-3 batches using 1Tbsp olive oil for each batch.
7.  After the meatballs have been browned, place on a cookie sheet and put in the oven for 5-8 minutes until fully cooked through.

Makes approx 46-48 meatballs

No comments:

Post a Comment